Longtime readers of this blog know that last year I was writing a vegan brownie cookbook. While I haven’t completely given up on the project, it isn’t on my list of priorities right now. I still love brownies though! Today I thought it would be fun to share my recipe for Fudgy Triple Chocolate Gluten-Free Brownies. Yep, triple chocolate indeed (and gluten-free)! They are really simple to prepare and even more fun to chomp down with your beverage of choice.
Fudgy Triple Chocolate Gluten-Free Brownies
2/3 cup warm water
3 Tablespoons flax meal
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8″ metal baking pan.
- In a small glass measuring cup, whisk together water and flax meal. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and the first measure of chocolate chips. Make sure to stir well in 30 second increments, until smooth. *Since microwaves vary in power, I suggest setting your microwave at medium power. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer.* Let cool slightly.
- Add flax mixture, sugar, and vanilla extract to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture and stir until no flour is visible. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted halfway between the edge and the middle of the pan comes out with a few damp crumbs. DON’T OVERBAKE! The middle will appear unset and this is how it should be.
- Remove brownies from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool transfer the pan to the refrigerator and chill for at least a few hours so the brownies set properly. This is important for a fudgy texture.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in the refrigerator for best results.
- Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies.