It’s time for a giveaway! Since October is the Vegan Month of Food, I figured this giveaway should be related to delicious vegan food. Makes sense, right?
Recently I had the opportunity to do a product review for Galaxy Nutritional Foods. They make some wonderful vegan cheeses (blocks, slices, and spreads) and while I don’t often buy vegan cheese alternatives, it is always nice to have tasty options. Galaxy’s products do not disappoint. They make both rice and soy-based cheeses (perfect for people with food allergies) and they also make the most amazing vegan cream cheese spreads. The kind folks at Galaxy agreed to send me coupons to pass on to some lucky readers. The coupons are good for one free Galaxy product of your choice! If you would like to be entered in the giveaway, visit Galaxy’s website and leave a comment here telling me which product you would choose. I will select two winners at random on Monday, October 10th at 9pm PST. Each winner will receive several free product coupons. Good luck!
When Tim and I go backpacking we always make sure to have a good dessert planned. There is nothing more satisfying than a sweet treat after a long day on the trail and a nourishing nutritious dinner. If we are really feeling adventurous we will make chocolate cake or pudding. When we are feeling lazy, desserts might consist of cookies baked at home the night before or gourmet graham crackers like this one:
Homemade graham crackers (recipe from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar) + Almond Butter + Chocolate Chips = Simple & Delicious!!! Added bonus: the calories keep you cozy on a cold night!
Longtime readers of this blog know that last year I was writing a vegan brownie cookbook. While I haven’t completely given up on the project, it isn’t on my list of priorities right now. I still love brownies though! Today I thought it would be fun to share my recipe for Fudgy Triple Chocolate Gluten-Free Brownies. Yep, triple chocolate indeed (and gluten-free)! They are really simple to prepare and even more fun to chomp down with your beverage of choice.
Fudgy Triple Chocolate Gluten-Free Brownies
2/3 cup warm water
3 Tablespoons flax meal
1/2 cup vegan butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
1 cup oat flour
1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/3 cup vegan white chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8″ metal baking pan.
- In a small glass measuring cup, whisk together water and flax meal. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt the butter and the first measure of chocolate chips. Make sure to stir well in 30 second increments, until smooth. *Since microwaves vary in power, I suggest setting your microwave at medium power. You can also use a double boiler if you prefer.* Let cool slightly.
- Add flax mixture, sugar, and vanilla extract to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, sift together flours, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt, and xanthan gum. Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture and stir until no flour is visible. The batter will be thick.
- Fold in the white chocolate chips.
- Spoon batter into prepared baking pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted halfway between the edge and the middle of the pan comes out with a few damp crumbs. DON’T OVERBAKE! The middle will appear unset and this is how it should be.
- Remove brownies from oven and cool completely on a wire rack. Once cool transfer the pan to the refrigerator and chill for at least a few hours so the brownies set properly. This is important for a fudgy texture.
- Cut into squares and serve. Store in the refrigerator for best results.
- Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies.
Lately soups, stews, and chilis have been dominating my weekly meal plans. I look forward to the chilly, rainy weather all year because it means cozy dinners and skies thick with clouds. I don’t meet too many people who share my love for gray days, but I do meet plenty of people who love a good bowl of soup served with homemade bread. My passion for baking isn’t just about satisfying my sweet tooth – a warm, crusty loaf of bread straight from the oven (and slathered with dip or vegan butter) can’t be beat on a cold night. Here are a few of my favorite homemade bread (and one magically delicious roll) recipes:
- Rye Bread
- Dangerously Seedy Potato Bread
- Thyme Flatbread
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Coconut Mango Rolls
Get the reference? I don’t care what anybody else thinks, “Dude, Where’s My Car” is a funny (albeit idiotic) movie. This is definitely a lazy, lazy, lazy MoFo post since I am very tired and unmotivated to make any real effort. At least give me an A+ for honesty!
Life without dips would be difficult for me. I love sweeping crackers, veggies, fruit, and my finger through both sweet and savory dips. Dips are also wonderful for sandwiches, burritos, and tossed with noodles. I am featuring three of my favorite dips below:
1. Edamame Dip – A bright green, easy to make, and really addictive dip.
2. Super Speedy Marinara Dipping Sauce – This is great for soft pretzels, steamed veggies, and noodles.
3. Kid’s Dynamo Hummus – This is my favorite hummus recipe and it is published in Eat, Drink & Be Vegan by Dreena Burton. The addition of cashews and nutritional yeast make me a happy kid. Of course, any hummus is a dip worth taking advantage of. I have posted about the wonders of this recipe before, right here.
Hopefully tomorrow’s post will be a bit more exciting! In the meantime, go make a dip!