Did you know that today is National Brownie Day? To celebrate this incredible holiday, I am going to share my recipe for Peppermint Crunch Brownies. Make these and dunk them in a mug of hot chocolate, I dare you!
These brownies are perfect for the holidays. They are dense, fudgy, chocolaty, and topped with crunchy candy cane pieces. What’s not to like? You could bake up a batch to give to people you love if you feel like sharing!
Peppermint Crunch Brownies
Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies
1/2 cup non-dairy butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips (please use organic, fair trade chocolate)
1/2 cup pureed silken tofu
1 cup organic unrefined sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (whole wheat pastry flour works well too)
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
5 full size vegan peppermint candy canes, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease an 8×8-inch baking pan. Set aside.
2. Melt non-dairy butter and chocolate chips in the microwave or in a double boiler. Whisk until well blended. Transfer mixture to a large bowl and whisk in pureed tofu, sugar, and extracts.
3. In a separate bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture and stir until well combined. Batter will be stiff.
4. Spread batter into prepared pan and top with candy cane pieces, pressing them gently into the batter. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until just beginning to set in the center. Immediately transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. Once cooled, transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 4 hours. Do not skip this step – it is essential to ensuring the brownies set up properly and become extra fudgy. Trust me!
5. Once chilled, slice into squares and devour with friends!