Oh boy. I have been sitting on this recipe for years. Literally. Why am I pulling it from the darkest depths to share with you today? Well, because I know how much people love treats and also because I am entering it in a contest! Have you heard about the So Delicious Dairy Free 2013 Recipe Contest? It’s pretty exciting! You can enter up to five vegan recipes and there is a chance to win some spectacular prizes. Voting takes place on the So Delicious Pinterest board and the recipe with the most likes will win!
My contributing recipe is a combination of two much-loved treats: fudgy brownies and rice crispy treats. When I was working on writing a vegan brownie cookbook, this was not only one of my favorites, but also one of my first creations. These brownies have made many tummies very happy, adults and kiddies alike. Try ‘em for yourself and see what I mean!
Rice Crispy Treat Brownies
Makes 9 large or 16 small brownies
For the brownies:
1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup So Delicious Plain Cultured Coconut Milk Yogurt
1 1/4 cups unrefined sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder, sifted
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/8 teaspoon salt
For the rice crispy topping:
2 tablespoons non-dairy butter
8 ounces vegan marshmallows
4 cups crisped rice cereal
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease an 8×8-inch metal baking pan.
2. Melt the butter and chocolate chips in a double-boiler or the microwave. Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool for several minutes.
3. Add yogurt, sugar, and vanilla extract to chocolate mixture and stir until combined.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt.
Add dry ingredients to chocolate mixture and stir until no flour is visible and mixture is smooth. The batter will be very thick.
5. Using a spatula, spread the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 26-28 minutes or until a toothpick inserted halfway between the center and the edge of the pan comes out with just a few crumbs attached (there shouldn’t be wet batter clinging to the toothpick). The center will appear unset but don’t worry, that is how it should look.
6. Remove pan from oven and cool completely on a wire rack.
While the brownies are cooling, prepare the rice crispy topping:
1. In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
2. Add the marshmallows to the pan and stir continually until marshmallows are melted.
3. Add crisped rice cereal and stir until evenly coated with the marshmallow mixture.
4. Carefully spread rice crispy mixture over cooled brownies. You may need to dampen your hands to prevent sticking. Don’t be afraid to gently press down on the mixture. You want the brownie layer and the rice crispy layer to adhere to one another.
5. Place pan in the refrigerator for several hours so that the brownies set properly (don’t skip this step!).
6. Cut into squares and serve.
Store brownies in the refrigerator for best results.
Oh! If you like this recipe, head over to the So Delicious Pinterest board and vote for me! My pin should be visible in a few days! Thanks everybody. Hope you all have a sweet week.