Since I had the day off from work, I decided to remake my Pumpkin Rice Crispy Treats with a few minor adjustments. The result? Success! I was right yesterday, the recipe needed a reduction in the amount of pumpkin puree. Now I can share the recipe with you! I know most rice crispy treat recipes have similar ratios of cereal to marshmallow, so I can’t take all the credit for this one. Feel free to add more spices if you wish. I kept it simple with just cinnamon but I bet cloves, nutmeg, and ginger would be nice additions too.
Pumpkin Rice Crispy Treats
2 tablespoons vegan butter or coconut oil
10 ounces vegan marshmallows (I used Sweet & Sara brand)
1/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
6 cups rice crispy cereal
1. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan and set aside.
2. In a large, deep pan, melt the butter or coconut oil over medium heat.
3. Add in the marshmallows and stir often until almost completely melted.
4. Once the marshmallows are nearly melted, stir in the pumpkin puree and cinnamon. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir well to incorporate the pumpkin.
5. Remove from heat and add in the cereal, two cups at a time. Stir well after each addition. Once all the cereal has been added, transfer the mixture to prepared pan. Press down firmly with damp hands or a small square of parchment paper. The treats will be thick.
6. Allow the mixture to cool before cutting into squares.