When I arrived home from a work orientation today, Tim immediately demanded doughnuts. Not one to turn down a baking opportunity, I lovingly obliged his request and made chocolate coconut doughnuts. These were inspired by Mighty O’s Don King doughnut, which is a chocolate doughnut with chocolate frosting and shredded coconut sprinkled on top.
3/4 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
pinch of cinnamon, optional
pinch of nutmeg, optional
3/4 cup unsweetened plain almond milk
1/2 cup unrefined sugar
2 Tablespoons vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Coconut Spread), melted
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 recipe chocolate ganache (click the link)
~1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 6-count doughnut pan.
2. In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa, baking powder, salt, and spices.
3. In a glass measuring cup, stir together milk, sugar, butter, and vanilla.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry and stir well to combine.
5. Pour batter evenly amongst the doughnut pan and bake for 11-13 minutes.
6. Remove from oven and allow doughnuts to cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
7. Once doughnuts are cool to the touch, dip the tops in the ganache and sprinkle generously with shredded coconut. You will have leftover ganache, but who’s complaining?