Back in February, the lovely Kelly of Seitan Beats Your Meat (and author of The Vegan Cookie Connoisseur) awarded several folks the Stylish Blogger Award. I was amongst the chosen and slacked (until today) at providing a proper post in response. Ooooops! Thank you, Kelly, for recognizing my blog and keeping me motivated!
The rules connected to the Stylish Blogger Award require bloggers to post seven facts about themselves and then pass the award on to bloggers of their choice. My life is pretty boring, but I am going to sift through my mental files and create a list that (hopefully) won’t put folks to sleep:
1. I am 34 years old and still suck my thumb. I have been sucking my thumb since I was an infant. My parents tried many approaches to get me to quit, but obviously nothing worked. Despite what my doctors and dentists told me, my teeth are not crooked and I didn’t mess up my mouth or get goofy illnesses. So there.
2. After I graduated from college in 1999, Tim and I traveled to New Zealand. We spent a total of nine months backpacking many of the amazing trails on the North and South Islands. We both agree that we truly learned to cook when we were in New Zealand. Some of our favorite foods to make while in the backcountry included pizza, scones, cinnamon rolls, and caramelized bananas!
3. When I was a kid, my gymnastics class had a headstand contest and I won. I stood on my head for 8 minutes. Unfortunately, when the season was over, I didn’t advance to the next level class. My response? I cried. The teachers felt bad and decided to advance me anyways. Tears can be effective when you are a child!
4. I don’t know how to swim. I took lessons growing up (even in high school), but somehow never quite mastered the proper coordination. It was terribly embarrassing for me when gym class took place in the pool. My teacher was nice and let me swim the width of the pool instead of traditional laps like the other students. Of course, I could only make it halfway across before I panicked, lost form, and had to be rescued by another student. After that, I was dismissed from swimming class. My teacher gave up on me!
5. I am obsessed with making lists. I love being organized and tidy. I even write things like “bike ride” on my list. If I do something during the day that wasn’t on my list, but should have been, I will add it to the list and then cross it off. Grocery lists, to-do lists, money management lists… I love them all.
6. I do voice-over work in my spare time. I don’t get paid for it; I contribute vocal requests to a website called The Freesound Project. Most of the requests come from DJ’s, but I have also provided vocals for relaxation cd’s, iPhone apps, songs, video games, and casino games! The oddest and most enjoyable request was for a British Theatre play where I provided the voice of a blow-up talking sex doll. It wasn’t inappropriate – just good, solid British humor!
7. I have a massive crush on Beavis (from Beavis & Butthead fame). In college, I had his picture adorning my dorm room wall. Most girls had rock stars and movie stars on their walls. I know he’s a cartoon, but he’s still pretty awesome.
That’s it! Facts you can forget about!
I am supposed to pass this award on to other bloggers now. SInce I am terrible at making decisions (fact #8!), I am just choosing one blog: The Verdant Life, which is written by Cat. Cat shares incredible recipes and beautiful photographs. She incorporates lots of healthy living tips into her posts as well. If you haven’t seen Cat’s blog, go and visit her!
And just so this isn’t a food photo-free post, take a peek at these yummy sweet potato hand pies Kittee made! They are gluten-free, vegan, and absolutely perfect. I wanted to eat two. I think the recipe will be featured in her upcoming zine!