Happy New Year, everybody!
I rarely make a list of what I hope to accomplish when the new year strikes. But for some reason, I decided I needed an extra push this year. Unemployment has left me with plenty of time to think about what makes me happy (and unhappy). I need some positive energy in my life and that can only be accomplished by being productive with my time and immersing myself in activities I enjoy – while challenging myself and learning at the same time. Here is my list:
1. Take 365 photographs (one good quality photograph per day) – I want to learn to see more creatively and compose my photographs better.
2. Ride my bike 3,000 miles (not all at once!) – Cycling is one of my favorite forms of exercise. Over the summer I was averaging 75 miles per week. I think this is a very attainable goal, and I hope to surpass it if possible!
3. Travel – Often traveling for Tim and I means driving someplace cool and going on an extended backpacking trip. That’s perfectly acceptable, but we never really take a vacation where we just relax, explore a new city, and eat lots of yummy vegan food. I would love to go to San Francisco or Vancouver, British Columbia.
4. Write my cookbook (or a cookzine) – My motivation for my brownie cookbook is constantly changing. I lost interest for several months. I am considering turning it into a zine, or writing an outdoor adventure cookzine.
5. Learn to knit with circular needles – My friend Kittee is going to teach me how to use my circular knitting needles. I am not an advanced knitter, but it would be nice to explore patterns beyond scarves and dishcloths!!
6. Summit Mt. Saint Helens with Tim – We have talked about doing this for years. I think it’s about time we commit! Expect photos once this goal is accomplished!!
7. Find a job – This might be the hardest goal on my list. I’m not sure what I want to do and social anxiety is a nasty obstacle.
8. Be less negative – I am going to work at this one every day. I need to be more optimistic. My natural scowl shall disappear by the end of the year!!
9. Read more books – Lately cookbooks are my novels of choice. I used to read quite a bit, but stopped for some reason. This needs to change.
10. Eat less sugar – I have a major sweet tooth. My sugar intake can get out of control because baking is my greatest passion. Tim and are I are working on this one together :)
11. Visit/explore a National Park – Tim and I hike/backpack a lot. Would you believe we have never been to a National Park? It will be difficult to choose just one, but California boasts plenty of options so we wouldn’t have to travel too far.
Wish me luck!
What are some of your most challenging goals for the new year?