As promised, here is the recipe for Skanky Pumkpin Squares:
*Just a quick note: The first time I made these, I used all-purpose flour and evaporated cane juice. The second time (for which the recipe below reflects), I used whole wheat pastry flour and unrefined dark brown sugar. Both methods worked nicely, but I am posting the latter because they might be a tad bit healthier.
Makes 9 servings
2 T ground flax seeds
6 T warm (not hot!) non-dairy milk (I used soy)
1 cup unsweetened pumpkin puree
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup unrefined dark brown sugar
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1/2 T blackstrap molasses
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour (scooped and leveled with a knife)
1 t baking powder
1/2 t baking soda
1/4 t fine sea salt
1 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the ground flax seeds and soy milk. Set aside (let rest for at least 5 minutes, you want it to get thick and goopy).
3. In a large bowl, or stand mixer bowl, blend together the pumpkin puree, canola oil, and brown sugar.
4. Blend in the flax mixture. Add the vanilla extract and molasses. Blend some more. Scrape down the sides of your bowl if necessary.
5. In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
6. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and blend well.
7. Pour the mixture into an 8×8 inch square baking pan (I used metal).
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven and place on a cooling rack.
For the cream cheese frosting:
2 ounces vegan cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 ounces Earth Balance or margarine, softened
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 cup powdered sugar
1. Using a hand mixer, blend the cream cheese and margarine until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla extract and blend some more. Add the powdered sugar a 1/2 cup at a time. Blend on high speed for several minutes, or until the frosting reaches a consistency you like.
2.When your Skanky Pumpkin Squares are cool, spread the frosting over the top and cut into 9 squares (or however many you want). These are awesome with a mug of tea, a glass of milk, or probably even coffee (but I don’t drink coffee so I might be wrong about that). Enjoy!!